Monday, July 30, 2012

Beer Fest(s)

Charlotte Octoberfest Volunteer
In my four years of living in Charlotte, North Carolina, I attended exactly 4 beerfests. Oktoberfest came but once a year, and it was always looked forward to with much anticipation. My last year, I had made connections on the inside and got to volunteer. This was fun, but a seemingly isolated event. It was rare to see the beers sampled at the fest in local bars or shops.

In my two years of living in Athens, Georgia, I attended exactly 2 beerfests: Oktoberfest. I was also a nominal member of the Brew 52's home brewing society. I did not home brew myself, but I was an excellent taster and commenter on the hoppy fruits of my friends' labors.


"There Will Be Beer" International Beerfest
Long lines under the big tent at Holiday Ale Fest
In my four years of living in Portland, I've probably attended at least 4 per year.  I think I went to three my first arrival month: Portland International Beerfest, Oregon Brewers Festival, and North American Organic Brewers Festival. Subsequently, I've attended Dogtober Fest, Hopwork's Biketobeerfest, and the Holiday Ale Festival. According to PortlandBeer.org, there are over 30 festivals a year and growing. This doesn't even mention the number of craft breweries and beer stores opening up around town. In fact, I just visited The Commons Brewery, which is a stone's throw from my house, and Josh Grgas informed me that 4 other breweries had opened up since their December 3, 2011, grand opening.
When it comes to beer in Portland I am a neophyte. The amount of varieties, information, and celebrations out there surrounding beer is, quite frankly, a little overwhelming. Even with all of those beerfests, the crowds are still pretty large and lines are long for just a taste of beer. Usually we end up just getting a taste and getting back into line, because by the time you reach the counter, your little taste is empty.

Maybe I got a little humbug as I exited my 20s or maybe I'm just maturing, but I no longer find the drunkenness or debauchery tolerable. I actually do want to experience and taste the beer. I like taking notes and reading the descriptors. OR maybe I'm just too hip for the mainstream. Right, too hip. In any event, I was going to stop at The Commons Brewery on my way down to the Oregon Brewers Festival this weekend. I ended up staying and enjoying the intimacy and "Gathering around beer" instead. I think it was a wise choice.

After sampling 3 Farmhouse Ales for Uptown Market, I wanted a closer glimpse of the goings on of Commons. I went for a sampler that included 4 tastes for $8.
Pale Evening, Fleur de Ferme, Flemish Kiss, Pils
When I arrived, there were just a handful of people drinking beer and talking with Josh, who works in sales and distribution for Commons. The space was airy and inviting, yet it had a feeling of minimalism.  Beer glasses, tasting trays, bar, beer barrel tables, chalk board information, ipod playing music and and ipad for credit cards. The backdrop was the warehouse with all the brewing equipment. As I made my way through the tray, many more people showed up, and I had the feeling that I made it to the best, and most comfortable, beerfest in town.
Menu

Josh tending bar

Gathering around Beer




No comments:

Post a Comment